Tuesday 19 November 2013

Robin Cushion

I've spent today painting kitchen cupboards, they're coming on very nicely, the builder is feeling much happier about them going into his beautiful kitchen, but they're not quite ready to photograph and show you on here yet. So I'm just going to show you a cushion I made as a present for someone a week or so ago instead.
 
I've got some Christmassy robins I made that I might show you a bit nearer to Christmas, when I dig out all the decorations, they're very similar to this design.

The Robin is made from scraps of wool and other fabric, with a button eye. It's machine sewn on to the background, and the legs are machine sewn.


The background is made from a lovely, thick wool blanket. It's a simple 'envelope' type cushion, and the blanket stitch edging of the blanket was perfect to use for the exposed edge of the back of the cushion.


I added an extra layer of wool behind the front of the cushion and machine stitched some simple, swirly quilting lines to add a bit more to the design (I think this was partly because I was getting a bit bored with all the straight lines in Sam's quilt - progress still quite slow there, maybe he'll get it for Christmas!).



I do like bird appliques which are quite realistic - for instance in my Bird Quilt - but a fun, quirky bird is always great too.

That's it for today, Sally.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sally, just have to let you know that I stumbled across your blog a few days ago. I am enjoying reading about all of your projects. Well done. You are inspiring me to do all of my quilting and crafting. Keep up the great work!!!
    Nella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, that's such a lovely comment. And if you ever feel like sharing any photos of your quilting or crafting, I'd love to see them!

      Delete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!