Thursday 11 September 2014

'Lets Go Fly A Kite' Mini Quilt


In our final week of holidays last week, there was an extra dimension added to our beach trips - kite flying. 


It's something we've never had any success with before. In fact it's something we've always had disappointing, frustrating failure with before, but it turns out we've never had the right kite before. 

Spot the teeny Sam figure flying it here, kite photography is tricky stuff!


Previously it's always been a cheap, impulse buy in the Supermarket. This time the kite was bought in a friendly, kite shop after advice from the shop owner. It wasn't a posh, expensive kite - and some were incredibly expensive!


It did cost a little bit more than the cheap, Supermarket buys - but it actually worked, and worked beautifully. So definitely better value. 



And we were all amazed at how much we all loved flying it.






So all last week, I had just one song in my head - 'Lets Go Fly A Kite', from Mary Poppins, of course.


It was just asking to be used in a quotey Mini Quilt. So I made a little patchwork kite to go on my, soon to be, Mini Quilt Wall.


The song is still in my head, and there's at least one more kitey make in my head now too! And we're all looking forward to the next beach trip when we can fly the real thing again.


But for now, I'm enjoying the patchwork version. Especially as I like having a few Mini Quilts that aren't standard square/oblong shapes, and it was quick and fun to make. I think it would be lovely to decorate a baby's nursery with something like this too.

Have you discovered a love of kite flying yet? If not, perhaps, like us, you just need to find the right kite for you!

Sally.



7 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! Great reminder of your kite flying summer too,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kite flying is so much fun! It is windy enough where I live almost year round, and watching families at the park by our house with kites always brings a lot of joy. The mini quilt is sweet. I do like that it isn't square or rectangular, and your idea for decorating a baby room with them is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love flying kites, and this is the perfect time of year for it. Love your quilted kite, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love flying kites and your patchwork version is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kite flying, how fun! We haven't done quite enough this year for sure... But fall is still young. Your mini quilt is AMAZING! Would you be insulted if I would steal that idea to decorate the kids' room???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide which one I like more, the quilt version or the flying one; they're both gorgeous! And real kites are definitely the way to go - the only one I ever got up was a real one that my uncle gave me one Christmas. Though from the experience of watching my beautiful kite be swallowed up be the sea, might I suggest two strings on a really windy day, just in case one snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a long time since I flew a kite. Your photos took me back to that day and what a wonderful time I had.

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!